Friday, April 26, 2013

Paying Taxes (Crappy Blogging)

I'm a crap blogger and I know it. I'm surprised anyone ever comes here anymore. What do I think posting pics of my new work table that I "got for a steal"? Captivating. Really.
So now I'm back here not for my usual eye candy, which I've gotten so lazy I don't credit properly any more (yeah, just go to my Pinterest page and you'll find it there), to have a bit of a rant about the cold calls we are always getting for 'free' financial advice. Seminars where we can learn how to cut back on some of the tax we pay, do you know the ones? I am (nearly) always polite, saying no thank you, not interested for now, but today I got off the phone thinking next time I'm going to be honest. Why is there an assumption that everyone wants to get out of paying more tax? Like we are all Cliver Palmer or someone who needs every last cent to themselves so to fulfill our dream of building a life size replica of the Titanic? The truth is we pay our taxes with grace. Every month when I go into hospital for potential life saving treatments of Intragram I am not only thankful to the people who donate their blood for this preparation but to the hospital and a health system who deliver it efficiently and cost free. I have no idea how much it costs but I'm sure it's an amount that myself and many of the others around me, getting infused that day, week, month, couldn't afford on their own. Here's the thing - you cannot demand/expect better state hospitals, public school systems (it doesn't matter if your kids go to private schools, you want them to live in a society that values high quality education for all children, right?), roads and services while in the same breath complaining about the taxes you pay. Good services cost money. If you do feel like complaining about taxes then do what I do - which is complain about those who DO wriggle out of theirs. That's what I want cold calls for - seminars on how to get Clive Palmer and Gina Rhinehart et al to pay their fair share. Bring those on.
Okay then, that's of of my system now. Regular programming of expensive consumer items in pretty pastel colors will resume soon.
PS If you are still visiting this blog (Karen?) I really am grateful. I mean to do better....

6 comments:

karenw said...

yep, still here and in complete agreement. Have been watching too much american tv news and horrified at the complete lack of social conscience by the media at least over there. If it's not my problem I don't want to know about it...

I get taxes, I also get severly pissed off about our bazillionaires not paying their fair share esp when their cash comes from ripping it out of the ground. Have my cranky jocks on now...

Need soothing pastels to calm me down, proceed back to normality..

ps, we are moving in a week, will have you over for morning tea after that. xxx

Kylie Hunt said...

Yah!!!! and Yeah!!!
So cool Jo - I totally absolutely agree with you. You've just reminded me of something my Mr said to our daughters a couple of years ago about boyfriends (or girlfriends) they might bring home.... He said, don't even think about going out with someone you rides a motorbike or someone who dodges paying their taxes, they're just twats of a different kind ;)
You go girl! I totally support you.
Kx

Luna Landing said...

Hey Kylie, my partner will want to know if dudes on Scooters are okay for your daughters. (Not that he is applying specifically. That is just creepy!)
X.

Kylie Hunt said...

Haha :) Dudes on scooters acceptable apparently ;) Kx

maria said...

of COURSE we visit your blog!!!!!! I've been terrible lately too, actually. Haven't been all that great at getting to many other blogs.

i love what Kylie's MR said to their daughters. haha. That is SO true!!!

Anonymous said...

It is appropriate time to make some plans for
the future and it's time to be happy. I've read this
post and if I could I wish to suggest you few interesting things or
tips. Perhaps you could write next articles referring to this article.

I desire to read more things about it!

Also visit my web blog Adidas Wings

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...